What to do if you lose your passport or identity card

The Swiss passport fallen on the lawn
(Photo: fedpol)

Your passport/identity card is considered 'lost' if it has been stolen, lost/misplaced or completely destroyed. In order to obtain a new document, you must report its loss to the police in Switzerland or abroad, and present a copy of the police report to the cantonal passport office.

The stolen, lost or destroyed document becomes officially invalid, and its number is registered in a national and international database.

If you lose your identity document while abroad

If you lose your identity document while abroad, report its loss to the nearest police station and ask for written confirmation of this. You can then apply for a replacement document at the next Swiss embassy or consulate. On no account should you use it again if it turns up.

Passport control
Swiss embassies and consulates

Last modification 06.05.2021

Top of page